Prof. Angel Gil was born in Granada, Spain in 1951. In 1996, he got his senior lectureship in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Granada (UGR). He is an internationally recognised authority in the field of Food and Nutrition; his expertise extends from the study of food composition to the metabolism of macronutrients and bioactive compounds, and their effects on health. Since his early career he has balanced his role of researcher and lecturer, and conducted pioneering and innovative research, leading more than 50 projects and contracts; he has taught since 1981, supervising more than 50 Ph.D. students.
Prof. Gil has several areas of interest that include the evaluation of the role of dietary nucleotides in early life and the development of infant nutrition products. In addition, the isolation, identification and description of the mechanism of action of probiotics and the metabolic, molecular and genetic factors involved in obesity and the early onset of the metabolic syndrome (MS) in childhood; and the design, development and evaluation of enteral clinical nutrition products. What probably describes Prof Gil best is the variety of fields and problems he has faced during his professional career and his significant ability to combine his knowledge and expertise in Food Science and Human Biochemistry. This has allowed him to design, develop, innovate and evaluate special products for Human Nutrition, which are clearly demonstrated in his published articles and the impact of his patents. The multi- and interdisciplinary nature of his work is reflected in the variety of international journals in which he has published more than 460 papers. In addition, he has published about 160 book chapters. He has also been the Chairman of the International Union of Nutritional Sciences (IUNS) 21st International Congress of Nutrition, the most important event in nutrition every 4 years in the World and has been engaged in the organization of other renowned international congresses. He is member of important international nutrition societies and President of the Iberomerican Nutrition Foundation (FINUT), a non-profit organization promoted by the IUNS whose main goal is to contribute to the formation of young scientists in Food and Nutrition in the setting of Iberoamerica.
- Madrigal C, Soto-Méndez MJ, Hernández-Ruiz Á, Valero T, Ávila JM, Ruiz E, Villoslada FL, Leis R, Martínez de Victoria E, Moreno JM, Ortega RM, Ruiz-López MD, Varela-Moreiras G, Gil Á. Energy Intake, Macronutrient Profile and Food Sources of Spanish Children Aged One to <10 Years-Results from the EsNuPI Study. Nutrients. 2020 Mar 25;12(4).
- Rangel-Huerta OD, Pastor-Villaescusa B, Gil A. Are we close to defining a metabolomic signature of human obesity? A systematic review of metabolomics studies. Metabolomics. 2019 Jun 13;15(6):93. doi: 10.1007/s11306-019-1553-y. Review.
- Soto-Méndez MJ, Rangel-Huerta OD, Ruiz-López MD, Martínez de Victoria E, Anguita-Ruiz A, Gil A. (2019) Role of Functional Fortified Dairy Products in Cardiometabolic Health: A Systematic Review and Meta-analyses of Randomized Clinical Trials. Adv Nutr. 2019 May 1;10(suppl_2: S251-S271. doi: 10.1093/advances/nmz001.
- Cavero-Redondo I, Alvarez-Bueno C, Sotos-Prieto M, Gil A, Martinez-Vizcaino V, Ruiz JR. (2019) Milk and Dairy Product Consumption and Risk of Mortality: An Overview of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses. Adv Nutr. 2019 May 1;10(suppl_2): S97-S104. doi: 10.1093/advances/nmy128
- Alvarez-Bueno C, Cavero-Redondo I, Martinez-Vizcaino V, Sotos-Prieto M, Ruiz JR, Gil A. (2019) Effects of Milk and Dairy Product Consumption on Type 2 Diabetes: Overview of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses. Adv Nutr. 2019 May 1;10(suppl_2): S154-S163. doi: 10.1093/advances/nmy107.
- Plaza-Diaz J, Ruiz-Ojeda FJ, Gil-Campos M, Gil A. Mechanisms of Action of Probiotics. Adv Nutr. 2019 Jan 1;10(suppl_1):S49-S66.
- Gil A, Martinez JA.Guide and Proceedings of the International Union of Nutritional Sciences 21st International Congress of Nutrition Held in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 15-20 October 2017. Adv Nutr. 2019 Jan 1;10(suppl_1):S1-S3.
- Gil Á, Plaza-Diaz J, Mesa MD. Vitamin D: Classic and Novel Actions. Ann Nutr Metab. 2018;72(2):87-95.
- Rangel-Huerta OD, Gil A. Effect of omega-3 fatty acids on cognition: an updated systematic review of randomized clinical trials. Nutr Rev. 2018 Jan 1;76(1):1-20
- Rangel-Huerta OD, Gil A. (2018) Omega 3 fatty acids in cardiovascular disease risk factors: An updated systematic review of randomised clinical trials. Clin Nutr 2018 Feb;37(1):72-77. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2017.05.015.