Idoia Labayen is currently a lecturer of the Department of Health Sciences at the Public University of Navarra. Previously she was a lecturer at the University of the Basque Country (Faculty of Pharmacy, 2002-2017) and Researcher and Associate Professor at the University of Navarra (Faculty of Pharmacy, 2000-2002). Her academic training was carried out at the University of Navarra (degree in Biology and PhD in Physiology and Nutrition), Granada (post-graduate studies in Nutrition and Dietetic) and Salamanca (doctorate studies in Nutrition). She has collaborated in several research projects focused in the metabolism, aetiology, pathophysiology, prevention and treatment of obesity and its comorbidities, particularly in childhood and adolescence. She has managed as Principal Investigator six investigation projects funded in competitive applications (UPV05/80, SAI06/91, CV07/02, SAN08/02, PI13/01335, DEP2016-78377-R). She has collaborated in many other projects, four of them supported by the European Commission (NUGENOB, HELENA, EYHS, IDEFICS). She has published 133 JCR scientific articles, more than 65% of them classified in the first quartile. She is the coordinator of the Nutrition and Physical Activity for Health group. She did two postdoctoral-research stays: the first one in the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition at the Karolinska Institutet participating in the “European Youth Heart Study” (Stocholm, Sweden, 9 months, grant funded by the Research Department of the University of the Basque Country, MOV06/14), and the second one at the Diabetes & Obesity Discovery Institute (Georgia Prevention Institute, Augusta, Georgia, USA, 6 months, Grant from the Spanish Ministry of Education, PR2011-0505) participating in the “Exercise dose and insulin sensitivity in obese children, the PLAY study”. Labayen has published 4 books and 8 book chapters. She is editor of the journal “Nutrients”, and member of the Executive Committee of the investigation network on physical activity and health (http://spanishexernet.com). She has supervised 10 master theses and she is currently supervising 7 PhD theses.
- Labayen I, Ruiz JR, Vicente-Rodríguez G, Turck D, Rodríguez G, Meirhaeghe A, Molnár D, Sjöström M, Castillo MJ, Gottrand F, Moreno LA. Early life programming of abdominal adiposity in adolescents: The HELENA Study. Diabetes Care, 2009; 32:2120-2022. 1º cuartil, 1º autor (correspondencia). FI: 6.718
- Labayen I, Ruiz JR, Ortega FB, Loit HM, Harro J, Veidebaum T, Sjöström M. Intergenerational cardiovascular disease risk factors involves both maternal and paternal body mass index. Diabetes Care, 2010; 33:894-900. 1º cuartil, 1º autor (correspondencia). FI: 7.141
- Ortega FB, Ruiz JR, Hurtig-Wennlöf A, Meirhaeghe A, González-Gross M, Moreno LA, Molnar D, Kafatos A, Gottrand F, Widhalm K, Castillo MJ, Labayen I, Sjöström M. Physical activity attenuates the effect of low birth weight on insulin resistance in adolescents. Findings from two observational studies. Diabetes, 2011; 60:2295-2299. 1º cuartil, FI: 8.286
- Labayen I, Ortega FB, Ruiz JR, Lasa A, Simón E, Margareto J. Role of baseline leptin and ghrelin levels on body weight and fat mass changes after an energy-restricted diet intervention in obese women: effects on energy metabolism. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2011; 96: 996-1000. 1º cuartil, 1º autor (correspondencia). FI: 6.430
- Labayen I, Ortega FB, Ruiz JR, Loit HM, Harro J, Villa I, Veidebaum T, Sjostrom M. Association of exclusive breastfeeding in infancy is associated with lower fibrinogen levels in childhood and adolescence; The European Youth Heart Study. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescents Medicine, 2012; 166: 56-61. 1º cuartil, 1º autor (correspondencia), FI: 4.282.
- Labayen I, Ortega FB, Ruiz JR, Loit HM, Harro J, Villa I, Veidebaum T, Sjostrom M. Exclusive breastfeeding duration and cardiorespiratory fitness in children and adolescents. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2012; 95: 498-505. 1º cuartil, 1º autor (correspondencia), FI: 6.504
- Labayen I, Ruiz JR, Ortega FB, Davis CL, Rodríguez G, González-Gross M, Breidenassel C, Dallongeville J, Marcos A, Widhalm K, Kafatos A, Molnar D, DeHenauw S, Gottrand F, Moreno LA. Liver enzymes and clustering cardiometabolic risk factors in European adolescents: the HELENA study. Pediatric Obesity, 2015; 10: 361-370. 1º cuartil, 1º autor (correspondencia), FI: 4.573
- Nyström CD, Henriksson P, Martínez-Vizcaíno V, Medrano M, Cadenas-Sanchez C, Arias-Palencia NM, Löf M, Ruiz JR, Labayen I, Sánchez-López M, Ortega FB. Does Cardiorespiratory Fitness Attenuate the Adverse Effects of Severe/Morbid Obesity on Cardiometabolic Risk and Insulin Resistance in Children? A Pooled Analysis. Diabetes Care; 217; 10: 361-370. 1º cuartil, último autor compartido, FI: 13.397
- Labayen I, Medrano M, Arenaza L; Maiz E, Osés M, Martínez-Vizcaíno V, Ruiz JR, Ortega FB. Effects of Exercise in Addition to a Family-Based Lifestyle Intervention Program on Hepatic Fat in Children With Overweight. Diabetes Care, 2019, doi: 10.2337/dc19-0351. 1º cuartil, primer autor, FI: 15.270
- Larqué E1, Labayen I1, Flodmark CE, Lissau I, Czernin S, Moreno LA, Pietrobelli A, Widhalm K. From conception to infancy – early risk factors for childhood obesity. Nat Rev Endocrinol, 2019; doi: 10.1038/s41574-019-0219-1. Q1, first author, IF: 24.646